Recuperation


I am wounded,                
                         and I am weak,                               
                                                   and I am hungry.    

But I feel a fire raging                           
                                   inside of me.    

I am angry.   
I am angry.    

I spit contemptuously                         
                               on grounds that used to be                                                  
                                                                          holy to me.    

And I hurl insults                     
                           at everybody                        
                              around me.                                  
                                              Constantly.                                   
                                              Constantly.    

I let them know              
                  what I think of them,                           
                                          as they try so desperately, 
                                                        to accommodate my every need,
                                                        to speed up my recovery.    

And I lie,             
               lazily,             
              stubbornly,                        
                                  on my back,         
       recuperating                     
                       from my latest heart-attack,                                                 
                                                                    slowly,                                                 
                                                                    defiantly.                                                 
                                                                    Defiantly.