Evolution


Plodding through muddy waters,                       

                                 each of my organs develops               

           a consciousness of its own.      

I watch them as they separate from me,

                leaving my brain abandoned and alone.  

I watch them as they stone the devil out of me,                   

                    as they circumambulate me -               

             a Ka’abah* hovering over miasmic swamps:       


“Come and wash yourselves in my holiness.      
Come and let this new Allah purify you                                     
                                                with his divine breath.”     




* The Ka’abah: a cubical temple found in the city of Makkah (Mecca), Saudi Arabia, to which the practicing Muslim has to make pilgrimage at least once in his/her lifetime, provided the task is affordable.